Dear All,

I have been closely following the online exchange since our get together in
April, and especially in the last couple of weeks. I have not chimed in
because many of the particulars under discussion are well outside my
expertise and, to some extent, at the margins of my general knowledge.
Natural enough with a group like this, and I have benefited from the
stretch to follow the tread of interconnection.  At same time, something in
Gregg's invite for others to get involved, " Would love to hear others
thoughts about communication, values, responsibility and so forth,"
crystallized a feeling I have had lurking in the background - something
along the lines of, Ok, so one more time, what's the task here? what is our
primary goal and how will we recognize progress toward it?

I don't mean at all to imply that the chains of discussion since the
meeting have not been intensely relevant and fruitful. Rather, at least
speaking for myself, what initially sparked my interest in this group was
the fact that Gregg's (et.al.) massive accomplishment in the TOK/UTA
presents so useful and challenging a down payment toward a goal that seems
urgently important, that I am , well, impatient I guess to see more
structured and explicit engagement with the pragmatic task of cobbling
together a working prototype of something that could eventually "go
public," if not to a completely general audience but certainly to a much
broader audience than those who could even begin to follow our discussions,
let alone have any least interest in doing so. To put it differently,
whatever other interests and opinions I carry with me, I identify myself
first and foremost as a classroom college/university, undergad and graduate
teacher, with almost 40 years of experience in talking to students about
what it means to take responsibility for themselves
intellectually/philosophically, socially and as human persons. I am pretty
committed to that challenge as the one professional contribution I can make
that is likely to have any significant impact at all, so what I am most
eager to see emerge here is .... Ta da!.....an intellectually fully
defensible way of explaining what constitutes universal Human Dignity, in
what sense HD can and must be said to demand absolute respect, what is the
nature of the responsibility which respect for human dignity imposes on
each and everyone of us, and what concretely can be done to promote
responsible human behavior.

 So a couple of thoughts in regard to some current themes in our
conversations that I would like to see engaged more directly with an eye
toward that goal:

   - Is the primary goal we are pursuing actually the integration of human
   knowledge? It is not straightforwardly apparent to that it is, or at least
   should be, because, whether or not it is ultimately possible, Human
   Dignity, as an absolute value and the most basic form of responsibility,
   cannot be contingent on its possibility, and certainly cannot be subject to
   any timetable of  progress toward that goal. It is absolutely urgent here
   and now, as it has been for at least a very long time or it will be for
   sometime at least into the future.
   - What is our position on the Human Freedom as the non-negotiable
   presumption of human dignity, as distinct from liberty of choice which is
   socially, psychologically and physically conditioned in myriad ways. In my
   view, one cannot claim dignity, absolute or otherwise, for human personal
   existence as its universal condition, without the presumption of an equally
   universal responsibility, which in turn is based on a universal human
   capacity "to make a difference" which could be meaningfully valued as
   "positive or negative," or in other words - freedom. (I do not wish to
   tarnish John Torday's position by associating myself with it, but I took
   note of his assertion that the traceable link back to the Big
   Bang/Singularity was the necessity for structural differentiation, also
   known as the irreducible ambiguity of the One and Many.)
   - Related to the unity of knowledge question, independent of whether or
   not it should be focal or thematically fundamental, I am convinced that the
   reality of freedom as the universal and fundamental capacity to make
   difference, implies that there will always be genuine incommensurability
   between and among cultural frameworks used to express knowledge, value and
   therefore personal identity. Ambiguity and paradox are not problems to be
   solved; they are the expression of the reality of the mystery of the human
   condition, embedded as it is within the Mystery (singularity as origin) of
   the existence of the Universe as a whole. I would suggest distinguishing
   clearly among at least these categories: Knowledge, Understanding and
   Wisdom. They are coherently interrelated but not reducible one to the
   others.

So I am suggesting these as possible talking points if anyone is interested
in pursuing them. I am well aware that they contain several dozen
implications which are certainly open to question, would require
clarification and further explanation, and finally, will be unacceptable to
some. *Viva la differance!  * My intention and hope is that they will move
us forward in a direction I think we all want to go.

all good wishes,
Frank

Francis J. Ambrosio, PhD
Associate Professor of Philosophy