Dear Gregg and TOKers, I wanted to chime in here in response to what Gregg had said in his last post, and I quote "In what might be an odd association, it reminded me a bit of Richard Dawkins’ The Extended Phenotype(and John’s notions of Niche Construction). Certainly, as we radically alter our environment, we radically alter ourselves. On the ride home from the beach yesterday, I found myself inverting is his motto (the medium is the message) to "the message is the medium." The inverted motto lines up directly with the key insight of the ToK. That is, the mediums of cell-cell communication/genetic info (Life), neuro-mental-subjectivity (Mind), and linguistic-person-society-intersubjectivity (Culture) are the “conglomerates” that allow us to unweave the rainbow of behavior and see the dimensions that make us what and who we are." I would like to unpack that series of interlinked thoughts which Gregg so beautifully articulated a bit further if I may. The notion that the message is the medium, particularly when combined with the cell as the Niche Construction, gets to the heart of what I am trying to express......that cell-cell communication accounts for all aspects of our 'being', physiology, consciousness, social systems. I say that because IMHO the communication is what mediates both homeostasis and evolution alike in service to the organism coping with an ever-changing environment. And with all due respect to those who have focused on language as the basis for human evolution, again I think that they've gotten it backwards. Language is the human expression and 'embodiment' of cell-cell communication, which can be traced back to the First Principles of Physiology and the origins of life itself as an integral whole. In the same way culture can be traced back to the First Principles of Physiology through the processes of Niche Construction. So yes Gregg, the message is the medium......of evolution. Funny how the inversion of the McCluhan aphorism has opened up to a 'synthesis'.... I hope these insights have been helpful, and that perhaps we ToKers can move forward together.