From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Frank Ambrosio <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2018 10:12:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Interesting Parallel Discovery

Dear Joe,

Thanks for this. I read it as a sign of the deep basis in the cosmos of realistic hope for each and every human life. For change to be change, some aspect of reality must become different, some aspect of reality must remain the same. Everything that can be known, the definite patterns of continuity, is finite and subject to change, and therefore so is all knowledge and all synthesis.. The relationship of the One (continuity) to the Many (differentiation) is one of the names given in the human cultural traditions to the mystery of the universe, the whole of which all are parts, so that it cannot be known, but in which we all participate. By our questioning, our limited knowledge and understanding, and most of all by the small wisdom by which we try to identify ourselves with that mystery. The possibility of such a small wisdom by which we can to some degree participate in mystery seems to me to be an authentic definition of realistic, though inexorably finite, hope.

This  seems to me to echo Steve Quackenbush's discussion of Jean-Paul Sartre at our gathering. Like Steve I believe that we could faithfully attribute to Sartre a sentiment something like, "if we believe in the dignity of human freedom, then our main responsibility is to hope. I also think this is another way of looking at the sort of mission that we are mulling over and trying to formulate: it should be a message of realistic hope and be helpful in pointing out where and how each of us might go about looking for signs of that hope.

All good wishes,,
Frank

Francis J. Ambrosio, PhD
Associate Professor of Philosophy