Steve, Mark, et.al.,

It occurs to me that Mark's two questions about William James could be asked about the founders of modern psychology in general:

 1) Who were the founders of psychology?  What were *their* own "psychologies" and how were
they "formed"?

2) Who were the founders of psychology "arguing" with, and what were they trying to accomplish
-- in the context of their times?

Perhaps any attempt to unify psychology in the here-in-now requires us to go back to the very beginning of psychology itself and pose questions such as these --- generally speaking, what was the whole point of establishing psychology in the first place?

~ Jason