Dear TOK Society List,

  For those interested, attached are: (a) A letter to the TOK Society List provided an update about the possible plagiarism situation involving Hugo Mercier and Dan Sperber and their new book, The Enigma of Reason: A New Theory of Human Understanding; and (b) a packet of relevant information, including a summary, a blog, references, a timeline, a table comparing the ideas, a summary of exchanges with the authors and the actual emails.

  Thanks to everyone who has guided and consulted with me (which include many of you). The support has meant a lot to me. Special thanks to Joe Michalski, who has been wonderful in offering sound guidance, and he has been enormously generous with his time and patience regarding this issue. As noted in the letter, the current game plan is the release this issue to the public on Monday, August 6.

  Some have asked how I am doing regarding this process. The short answer is "fine." The longer answer is that it has taken a lot of time, which has been unfortunate. But it also has been interesting and stimulating and challenging, generally in a good way. I feel good about the process of deliberation and where things stand in terms of the course of action that has been charted (and I remain open to possibly altering it if a better/more appropriate path emerges). My guess and expectation is that this will give rise to a little bit of press and controversy, Mercier and Sperber will not be pleased and will try to blowback against it (and me), people will see their reply as "very iffy" at best, I feel fairly protected regarding their capacity to attack me, and expect that after some initial heat, the issue will then recede into the massive flow of information that we are all awash in. In terms of my approach, I am committed to staying fact-focused and to use this as a learning opportunity.

I welcome thoughts or replies (including notes of support or concern or disagreement), either on the list or back channel.

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out my Theory of Knowledge blog at Psychology Today at:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/theory-knowledge