Jamie,

  Let me quickly address your question about culture (and Culture) and society and the concept of memes. I then need to head out for the day and will be back tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

  The short issue with memes is that there are many things that people would label a “meme” that is not a justification. Indeed, many people argue that what defines culture at large are learned practices that are repeated. Consider the classic example of monkeys washing potatoes. This was a “cultural invention,” if you use the term broadly (I argue it is “proto-culture, not culture with a Capital C, which refers to the systems of justification). And it would be a meme in most definitions. But it surely is not a justification. There are many other examples. Going back to the basketball example. Kareem Abdul Jabar’s skyhook could be a meme (if others started copying it), but the act of a skyhook is not a justification.

  Justifications exist in the medium of human language. Culture is the shared systems of meanings that people have. Societal evolution is broader than that, although they are intimately related. Consider all the stuff Mark writes about in terms of his techno-constructivist perspective. The iPhone was a major innovation that influenced the evolution of society, but an iPhone is not a justification per se.  Justifications are the explicit intersubjective worlds that people create to form a narrative about what is happening and why. Memes (as they were conceived by Dawkins) are units in groups that get replicated, the evolution of which provides a frame for human society in general.

  Bottom line, I do believe that the concept of meme can be applied to justifications in an interesting way. However, I don’t think one could effectively classify all memes as justifications proper. I also see that Culture as justification systems are arguably the central defining feature of human society, but they are not all of human societies (they are not the actions of humans, nor the buildings that humans live in). Behavioral investment practices (washing potatoes, skyhooks) may well evolve or operate differently than systems of justification.

  More on the evolution of truth coming.

Hope you are well.