From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Mathew Jamie Dunbaugh
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2018 4:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Culture is intentional

Gregg,

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I didn't think all memes are justifications. But where I part from your Justification Hypothesis (I think expanding on it) is that I think we can say that all memes are selected by something we could call a "justification" because of the nature of their special fitness landscape.

It's probably a stretch to say that an organism is "justified" by its fitness in its environment. But because the fitness landscape of memes is our goals/values/intentions measured up against a largely abstract reality (platonic forms, whether or not they are "real"), ALL memes have to be sensed as right, good, or reasonable to reproduce. This is the case for even the most superficial of memes.

Because our own intentions are part of the fitness landscape of our memes, and the fitness landscape is largely abstract reality, I think it's appropriate to use the term justification for the selection of memes. A justification is "the act of showing something to be right or reasonable"

Memetic evolution is intrinsically intentional (based on fundamental interests) and there are right and wrong answers to whether or not a behavior fits our fundamental intentions. As culture evolves, it gets better at determining what is in its best interests at an accelerating pace.

Culture learns.

I had an idea that intelligence is merely pseudo-randomly generated patterns with a goal as the fitness landscape. Intelligence is clearly more than that, but that's the basic Darwinian nature of intelligence, and also meaning and intentionality.

If you look at the evolution of a technology, like the car, you can see how a darwinian process of patterns being selected by an intention is taking place.

Daniel Dennett talks about how intelligent design is like a crane that reaches up beyond the gene and processes intentionality. In my understanding, intentionality is mostly just virtual evolution that gets refined over time as we learn which intentions to have (which goals to use as our internal fitness landscape).

I'm pretty sure the question still remains as to the nature of teleology. Are the goals just randomly mutating, and being selected by pleasure and pain and accumulated knowledge? It seems so to me, because how could we have any foresight to make an end cause the beginning without virtual evolution in our heads?

Gregory Stock, in the excellent book Metaman pointed our the future possibilities are increasingly determining the present as Metaman grows smarter (Metaman is basically culture). This is because we're simulating more possibilities and measuring them up to our goals more rapidly.