As a relatively seasoned clinician, I can say absolutely that “subconscious” pain and injury are important parts of human health and suffering.

That said, I think there is potential for confusion here. I think that Jamie’s point was that an entity that has no capacity for sentient experiencing, say a single cell or a robot or something along those lines cannot suffer because to suffer requires the capacity for subjective experience at some level.

So, clearly I might have traumatic wounds that are “unfinished” and outside my self-conscious narrative and experiential attentional set, but that influence and impair me. Every clinician who has fostered some relatively deep insight work has seen that.

But at the same time, an entity that cannot feel cannot feel pain and thus cannot suffer.

From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 5:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Behavioral Selection

Jamie:

I am thinking, in particular, of the type of pain referred to as psychological pain.

And, yes, it very much appears to me that psychological pain, in particular, can be “felt” or “exist” in the unconscious and they person not be fully aware thereof.

That doesn’t mean that such unconscious psychological pain doesn’t influence the person’s behavior (physical or mental) or that it cannot become part of the “conscious” experience.

But, that is based upon my experience in life as a person and a physician.

And that is why I both of us will benefit from comments from a psychotherapist on this matter.

Best regards,

Waldemar

Waldemar A Schmidt, PhD, MD
(
Perseveret et Percipiunt)
503.631.8044

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. (A Einstein)