Gregg, at the risk of repeating myself, what seems to be missing from your essay on what makes us different is that we humans 'know that we know', which allows us to contemplate our own mortality, which leads to our neurotic, narcissistic behavior driven by the fear of death. So it comes down to the question of what consciousness is at its base. As you know, I don't think it is being aware, it's being aware of being aware, which is the integration of our physiology, which evolved from the external environment as serial endogenizations. In other words, by internalizing aspects of the environment which became existential over the course of evolution- elements like heavy metals, gases, other organisms (mitochondria as bacteria). We and all other organisms made such things useful as our physiology through cell-cell communications, which is the basis for development, homeostasis, injury-repair and evoltuion, the aggregate of which is what we think of as Consciousness.