Thanks Jamie. I think you've offered an excellent, succinct, insightful framing of the issues. Love the Bukowski quote, which I've used as well. I'll just mention, consistent with your observations, that I've been engaged in the "search for truth" (like many of us here, I'm sure) all my life and, more narrowly, in my field of study. Speaking personally, I've long doubted my own understandings of most issues, always hoping to gather more evidence and weigh that in light of the epistemic foundations of the knowledge produced. It becomes difficult to arrive at definitive conclusions through such an open-ended process, which, of course, may be the point.

But, what I will say is that the reason I've not written "books" until just now, in my mid-50s, is that I've felt like it has taken several decades to arrive at some fuller understanding about the issues I've studied intensely (and yet I still have my doubts and uncertainties). In short, one of your final comments brilliantly summarizes my own conclusion:  "I've reached a state where my ideas are composed of ideas that require very long arguments or books to justify." That's exactly where I am - and that's why I'm only writing "books" now after about 40 years of thought, study, and research. But that's not to say that someone, indeed many people, far more insightful & intelligent than yours truly, couldn't produce books at much younger ages. Remarkable insights can come from anyone, anywhere, and at any age. They might just need a bit more time and experience to figure out how to justify and communicate their ideas effectively!

Anyway, just wanted to say how much I deeply appreciate your observations. And now, off to our "new faculty orientation" for the remainder of the day - but just reading Gregg's blog, your comments, and thinking about these issues would be an excellent orientation exercise! All best regards, -Joe

Dr. Joseph H. Michalski

Associate Academic Dean

King’s University College at Western University

266 Epworth Avenue

London, Ontario, Canada  N6A 2M3

Tel: (519) 433-3491

Fax: (519) 963-1263