CFP: Resistant Imaginations Conference

University of Oregon
Eugene, OR, United States, February 1-2, 2019

In The Epistemology of Resistance, José Medina points to the importance of addressing not only actions and practices but also language and the imagination when fighting oppression. We are often keen to challenge or call out exclusionary and stigmatizing aspects of the social imaginary, a process that centers around negation. Yet imagination and the social imaginary will never be replaced by some strict notion of reason/truth, so we must also consider positive steps for creating alternative imaginaries or critical reimaginings, ways of “calling in” – we must cultivate imaginative practices. With her concept of epistemic gathering, for example, Gaile Pohlhaus Jr, asks us to imagine new ways of creating communities across difference that disrupt inherited colonial practices.

For this intimate conference we are seeking papers/presentations that elaborate or instantiate resistant imaginations or related concepts (whether drawn from Medina’s work or other sources).

Though hosted by philosophers interested in Critical Epistemology we welcome papers, presentations, and workshops from any academic discipline and from outside the academy. We especially encourage work that crosses traditional boundaries—disciplinary and academic/non-academic, among others—to expose how issues of disability, gender, race, socioeconomic status, and other areas of difference shape our understandings of the world.

Invited Speakers:

José Medina (Northwestern University)

Gaile Pohlhaus, Jr (Miami University, Ohio)

Submission link:    https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ri2019

Submission deadline:    November 1, 2018

Submission Guidelines:

The following submission categories are welcome:

Extended Abstract (500 words or less) describing a paper who presentation would take no more than 20 minutes.

Non-Paper Proposal (500 words or less) describing a presentation, performance or workshop. Longer timeframes may be considered.

You are permitted one submission. Please provide a title, select 3-10 topics/keywords, and attach a 500-word abstract/proposal as a PDF or Word document. Please do not include any identifying information in your abstract.

Organizers:

Camisha Russell
Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy

Kit Connor
Accessibility Contact

Additional Information:

The conference will be relatively small with no concurrent sessions. Registration is required, but there is no registration fee.

Information about lodging, including ADA guest rooms, will be available closer to the date.

Guidance on making presentations accessible will be provided to presenters on notification of acceptance of a submission.

--

Camisha Russell | Assistant Professor

Department of Philosophy

233 Susan Campbell Hall | [log in to unmask]

https://philosophy.uoregon.edu/profile/camishar/