From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of JA Martineau
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2018 11:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: draft blog on Trump Algorithm

Hello Gregg,

Yes, it is easy enough to disagree in the times in which we live.

You have done much in developing the ToK, with particular insight in the "dimensions" aspect: its not one thing. What this implies, I think, is trying to get at the Causes of things, or what underlies what everyone now is aware of - the world we were all "formed" by has come to an end, with much nostalgia and mental illness, but few answers going forward.

Aristotle was the first actual "social scientist" in that he attempted to get at what all living things actually are: "by nature" and by their environment, or "City" for humans. "Causes" are at the foundation of all his "science." Humans are what they are because of their soul or psyche, their matter being what it is and their "formation." Given the nuttiness of Athens and what had happened to the Greek world in the 30 years of war, he was concerned with how societies/cultures/cities came about. How the psyche is formed became the basis for his discussions of metaphysics, ethics, and politics.

Today, many millions of people throughout the West are going against the environment/paradigm that formed them. It may make some "feel good" to point at the US President, but no one really thinks that is the problem, but really a symptom of something else: children are not being "formed" differently than in the past because of politics or because of how one person is being portrayed in the media. It's a cultural thing. I sometimes say since I am a political scientist: Don't like Trump? Just wait for the next one, because he is just the first in the Digital Paradigm, just as Obama was the last of the Television/Globalist Paradigm. Another comparison is Lincoln, who was the first President in the Electric Paradigm, as in it (newspapers radically changed in "creating" opinions in the 1850s due to the Telegraph) got him elected and he recognized the country had changed since his youth, though he did not know why. Interestingly, in his Memoirs, US Grant observed that the biggest change in his lifetime (born in 1822) was the common man in the middle of the country being concerned about what was happening hundreds and thousands of miles away. Now that was a big psychological change throughout the West. Today we have the opposite phenomenon occurring, despite what Television tells us.

Social Sciences want to be noticed and that means explaining what has happened and where things are likely going, beyond talking about what we want or should want - moralizing or to borrow from Rene Girard, a form of scapegoating. Unlike Plato, Aristotle had much to say about how "prediction" works given how humans are formed, and it's not about trying to create the right opinions in people.

Jeffrey A. Martineau
Vice President
Center for the Study of Digital Life
New York City