Jeff,

  Thanks for this narrative. I am fairly aware of Trump’s biography. Regarding his biography, I would argue that central to the issue at hand (the nature and origin of the algorithm) is his hard driving father, the failure of his older brother Freddy to meet his father’s expectations, and how then Trump moved in and filled the void. This translates into Trump internalizing the capitalistic competitive ethos at the level of identity. It is a dog eat dog world out there, and that then serves to justify his intuitive relational system. To understand what I mean by his intuitive relational system, here is a map of the human relational process dimensions, which map how people intuitive depict and navigate self-other dynamics. They can be considered the forms that nature has built into our primate social relational structures:

The matrix maps the way we humans intuitively perceive self-in-relation to others. As a function of temperament, reinforcement, vicarious learning, attachment style, and justification and so forth Trump became centered on the blue line.

Now lots of powerful leaders, not surprisingly, have high power motives. What is remarkable about Trump is the blatant and simplistic way his self-consciousness system justifies his blue line proclivities. The map of human consciousness embedded in the unified system as follows:

The experiential self is the intuitive perceptual theatre, the private self is the self-conscious justifying narrator and the public self is what you justify to others as why you are doing what you are doing. In interpersonal exchanges, the experiential system is framed by the Matrix (which is why it is placed there on the diagram). What is striking about Trump’s character is how his blue line intuitive power of self-over-other motive is so blatantly legitimized by his self-conscious system and so unapologetically proclaimed to others. At a personality--individual difference analysis (i.e., why is this person different from other people), that is what is striking about him in this context. I don’t know of any other person (other than perhaps some 11 year old boys playing video games) who are so dramatically predictable in doubling down and legitimizing his self-serving tendencies.

Now one thing that is notable about Trump in this regard is that his supporters love how “authentic” he is. What they mean by this is that indeed he does not filter. They presumed that people like Hillary were every bit as self-centered as Trump. But they would filter it and lie about it and cover it up. What was so refreshing about Trump to many was his unabashed self-centeredness. At least he is honest in that regard, many folks think.

Of course, all this pertains to his character. What we see in his tweets and so forth. What elected him is a totally different dynamic.