But then, perhaps it's not the "tribes" on the extremes that are the biggest threat to democracy, but the "tribes" in the center.

"Across Europe and North America, support for democracy is in decline. To explain this trend, conventional wisdom points to the political extremes. Both the far left and the far right are, according to this view, willing to ride roughshod over democratic institutions to achieve radical change. Moderates, by contrast, are assumed to defend liberal democracy, its principles and institutions.

"The numbers indicate that this isn’t the case. As Western democracies descend into dysfunction, no group is immune to the allure of authoritarianism — least of all centrists, who seem to prefer strong and efficient government over messy democratic politics."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/23/opinion/international-world/centrists-democracy.html?fbclid=IwAR3NBo-yWTr7mX7A6DGf_DPysj4UED8JYEWygaQ3YZzsnJwD6DZmsxFVJ9s

~ Jason Bessey