Unfortunately, here is yet another male responding to the listserve.

I'm not sure if Yancy's proclamation of "all men are sexist" is terribly helpful.  Do all men engage in sexist behavior?  I can absolutely agree with that and regret my own.  Are all men "sexist?"  That seems to cut closer to an identity statement, and just thinking about the tried-and-true lessons of cognitive dissonance, I can see such a claim leading to immediate defensiveness by the audience that would benefit most from that degree of introspection (men).

There seems to be a corollary here with many movements that try to highlight, examine, and mitigate the more problematic aspects of human behavior.  My 30,000 ft view is that front-loading the conversation with identity statements tends to ultimately skew the conversation into us-vs-them narratives.  Sexism is not an us-vs-them issue, but one inherent in all of human nature, from the psychological to our complex social and justification networks.  Accordingly, at least in my opinion, any fruitful exploration of this that will lead to meaningful change should aim to get into the minds of men in an insidious fashion, largely bypassing any defense systems attuned to blame.  For example, part of Yancy's article that I did appreciate was his personal sharing of how his specific behaviors recapitulated sexist attitudes and processes.  Running a men's issues therapy group, I've found the most change seems to come when the guys can, in a non-judgmental way, openly discuss the connections between what they do/have done and the women they care most about.

(Side note:  as I wrote the previous paragraph, I had the self-image of "man-splaining", which is yet another problem.  Maybe all that I've written, which is largely in a matter-of-fact tone, discourages open discussion as it seems to invite conflict and challenge if others disagree.  Perhaps all we men could do a little more to ask open-ended questions with actual curiosity about the differences of opinion rather than retreat into battles of the mind.)

Perhaps his Twitter tag should be #IDoSexistThingsTo ?  Not as catchy, but maybe less threatening.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason C. Stout, Psy.D.
Licensed Clinical Psychologist
Western State Hospital - 1 Pine
(540) 332-8095 (Office)
(540) 332-8202 (Fax)

DBHDS: A life of possibilities for all Virginians