Interesting essay Steven.

Rather than “knowledge” Rauch is really pointing to “authority” with the
line being drawn from Plato to the Moderns: our “perceptions” are what
matters and need to be controlled by the “elites” of modern Social Science.

So what is “knowledge?” For Rauch it’s whatever comes through the “funnel”
and is accepted by the “marketplace of ideas.” Supreme Court Justice Oliver
Wendel Holmes called this the “well worn path” of modern liberalism. It was
not confused with what is “true” but what become “facts” within the
cultural paradigm.

Aristotle teaches us that “knowledge,” or to be a “knower” of something
means that we know what the Causes of the thing actually are: not that we
merely recognize the authority.  Everything has multiple causes. The causes
are Four: Formal - the essence, or in the case of living things, it’s Soul
(psyche in Gregg’s TOK); Material - those substances that make it itself;
Kinetic - the motion, or the Soul maintaining itself as the senses are
always being bombarded; Telos - end/completion of action.

These then need to be thought of in terms of “potentially” and action.

As Social Scientists, the interstinf and much more important questions are
NOT what did/is Trump doing/saying, which we know very little about other
than how the “media” describes them, BUT what is going on with the humans
in the West.

It is silly to suggest that Trump is simply some sort of authoritarian or
is pulling one over on people. As he noted many times during the campaign,
he rode “a wave.” This means that something has been happening to our
psychological environment. The “effects” of this new environment, rejection
of all that came before it in the modern era (thus all the empty talk about
“saving” the Enlightenment), are plain to anyone with a pulse.
Television/Media are no longer the Authority for the West. The Authority,
now lays elsewhere.

Plato and Aristotle look at our perceptions and conceptions quite
differently. Plato and the Moderns have wanted to give us different
conceptions (ethics through mass comm tech) to make us different, or a kind
of psyche Warfare. Aristotle and the Ancients looked at what humans
actually are and how they are “formed” by their psychological environment.
Thus why he begins with Metaphysics and NOT Politics/Ethics.

Rauch is pointing to our ELECTRIC modern lives and saying that it is
somehow the “truth” of humans, rather than purposefully creating
perceptions, or “imagining” what humans might become, rather than dealing
with the actually “reality” of human Souls.

--
Jeffrey A. Martineau
Vice President for Development