Hi List,

  As I am sure you saw, Trump mocked Dr. Ford in his speech the other night, to the applause of the crowd.

  Today, there is the following article about academic hoaxers who are following in the footsteps of Alan Sokal (an event I covered in my final Fifth Joint Point chapter), and attempting to demonstrate the intellectual vacuity of some of the social justice perspectives in the academy: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/04/arts/academic-journals-hoax.html?emc=edit_th_181005&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=352238941005

  I am sharing these two events for us to reflect on where we are in terms of our social identity, and how to think about it. I think the juxtaposition between these two events is striking. As Tom Friedman put it a couple of days ago (American Civil War, Part II), we are about as ideologically divided as ever before.

  Given this, and our knowledge of psychology and sociology, what might be some adaptive paths going forward?

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out my Theory of Knowledge blog at Psychology Today at:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/theory-knowledge

Check out my webpage at:

www.gregghenriques.com