Hi List,

  Following up on the conversation on mental behavior, cognition and consciousness, it might be useful to take a look at the following two diagrams. The first is a diagram that attempts to capture the relationship between the behavioral view and the cognitive view, but it is pretty disorganized IMO. The diagram below it is my (updated) Architecture of the Human Mind diagram, that organizes the interrelationsihps between the cognitive domains.

From: Jennifer Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2018 12:34 PM
To: Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: blog on talking as a behavior or mental process

Hi Gregg,

I know I owe you a couple emails; haven't yet gotten fully through the double issue but a skim suggests YES there is a clear pathway of opportunity for the work we've been doing together :)

Just a quick note about your blog entry. This part caught my attention:

But what if I talk to myself? If I talk to myself out loud, then, according to modern empirical psychology, that goes from being a mental process to a physical behavior in the outside world that can be observed and then back into a mental process as I interpret it. At least I guess, but I confess to not being sure. But what if I talk to myself privately and silently? Then, that would be a mental process, which, presumably is not a behavior? Again, I just don't know.

It got me thinking about singing. I often sing out loud when alone in the car and that does prompt a self-observation where I realize that what is coming out of my mouth does/does not sound as I expect from how I 'hear" it in my head when singing to myself silently (done when others are present). So I do seem to be interpreting it when out loud alone and taking the behavior back to a mental process. What's interesting to me is that after the self-observation and transfer back to a mental process, the original mental process act....singing silently to myself...is altered thereafter. The feedback from my behavior alters how I "hear" it in my head after that. I suspect this is true for many musicians; I'm basing that on the observation (no citation handy but sure they exist) that mental rehearsal impacts subsequent performance. Thanks for the thought prompt!

Take care,
Jennifer