Hi TOK folks,

Thanks for the great introduction, I'm excited to be a part of the great
work going on here.
I know of some Allsops up in Boutifull, they are probably related.

If anyone is interested in some detailed information about canonizing.
there is the White Paper link on the sidebar of the main canonizer.com
page.  The title is:

Amplifying the Wisdom of the Crowd,
Building and Measuring for Expert and Moral Consensus

It's about 7 pages.  It is by the brilliant James Carroll.  He has a PhD,
and is doing leading computer science research in the Physics Division at
Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Back in the 90s, I was very interested in wanting to know what the best (as
in accepted by the most experts) theories of consciousness are, if any.
But all I could find in any of the peer reviewed journals and popular books
being published seems like junk.  The only thing anyone agreed on was that
there was no consensus, and that nobody had any idea about how to approach
things like the explanatory gap.

It was also very frustrating in all the forums that descuss this topic.
And this was mirrored in the journals.  The same old bad views and poor
arguments would come  up, over and over and over again.  Everyone repeating
the same arguments multiple times, every year, about all the minor issues
people disagreed on - nobody ever making any progress.

When wikipedia came out, I was like Yeah, so close.  The only problem is,
the edit wars on anything controversial.  Inspired by Wikipedia's success,
we got started on a consensus building wiki system with camps.

Now the level of intelligent discussion that goes on in forums that know
about Canonizer has dramatically changed.  Instead of infinite bickering,
when poor arguments come up, people just point to a camp and say: This is
what I believe, and these are the experts that agree, along with a concise
statement as to what they do believe and why.  The people ignorantly
spouting the bad ideas can canonizer their ideas, if they want, but when
they start thinking about how they could canonizer their bad idea - and in
most cases, they realize, compared to what the experts are already saying,
concisely and quantitatively, there idea isn't such a good idea after all.
And the quality of the idea can be measured by how many people do support
the idea.  So they usually self sensor, and stop spouting the bad ideas,
over and over again.

When good new ideas do come up, they instantly get canonized and
supported.  You can rigorously measure the quality of the idea, by how many
people it converts, so you can focus on the best ideas, as they rize to the
top in the better supported camps.

Also, we always stress testability.  We encourage each camp to describe
experiments that could be done, that would falsify their, or competing
camps.  In this way, there is finally good hypothetical, testable
information the experimentalists can run with.  Of course, the results of
experiments falsify various camps.  We've already had one camp falsified,
by data coming out of the Large Hadron Collider.  It is fun to be able to
see and rigorously track this kind of stuff, in real time.  More exciting
that sports events, if you ask me.

I'm working on a post that describes in more detail the state of the main
"Theories of Consciousness" topic:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__canonizer.com_topic_88-2DTheories-2Dof-2DConsciousness_1&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=oKURBsFszzlLxNDnSF6Lft1-YAQmX3Me76qKU3rosTA&s=ubbkTEMotogvD2_E77IoP6XaGxqjvPZslYpWnLNFkFI&e=

As Gregg indicated, there is some surprising amount of consensus forming
around the Representational Qualia Theory Camp:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__canonizer.com_topic_88-2DRepresentational-2DQualia_6-3F&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=oKURBsFszzlLxNDnSF6Lft1-YAQmX3Me76qKU3rosTA&s=Y2jcSkZgzadg7PhHr-4iijWYABbhzAHaLLGRN4630Z4&e=

Where a surprising 36 or so of the 54 experts, including to a greater and
lesser degree, Steven Lehar, David Chalmers, Stuart Hameroff, Daniel
Dennett, John Smythies... and a growing number of others have
participated.  The numbers next to the camps are the "canonized score".
The default algorithm is "popular consensus" - one person one vote.  You
can select other algorithms, like "mind expert" canonizer that uses a topic
where peers in the field rank each other's expertise:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__canonizer.com_topic_81&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=oKURBsFszzlLxNDnSF6Lft1-YAQmX3Me76qKU3rosTA&s=jzfnVbyX-qoj7YEa9DNBZ1dBxJSvRVT2UDwZqHt3Wpo&e=

Being able to compare popular consensus with expert consensus, enables the
popular consensus to keep up.  Another way the system amplifies the wisdom
of the crowd.

The hierarchical structure, where you can push the inevitable disagreements
down to lower level camps, enabling the discussion to remain on the more
important things people agree on.  It's the best consensus building system
on the internet, in my opinion.

The best part about Representational Qualia Theory is, it is a meta
approach which describes ways to experimentally test the various competing
theories like Functionalism, materialism, quantum theories, and so on, all
these competing theories concisely and quantitatively described in
supporting sub camps.

Anyway, that is probably enough (too much?) for now.

Thanks!

Brent Allsop