Dear FEAST folks,

With apologies for cross-posting, I'm sending along the cfp for our graduate student conference (which is now in it's 20th year!).  Please consider submitting your work or encouraging your graduate students to do so.

--Lisa

Call for Papers
Michigan State University’s 20th Annual Graduate Philosophy Conference
Philosophy of Home
March 15th-16th, 2019
Keynote: TBD
For Michigan State University’s 2019 Graduate Conference we seek papers that explore the concept of Home. In an effort to understand what home is, we want to look to how different experiences and practices of home relate to identity, ethics, politics, aesthetics, and more. This conference is an opportunity for reflexivity, a chance for participants to explore how our own homes influence our thought and work. It is an opportunity to think carefully about homelessness, its kinds, and its causes. These topics are enriched by research across multiple fields of study. We strongly encourage interdisciplinarity in paper submissions and in conference participation. Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:

  *   What does it mean to inhabit a home?
  *   What is the relation between home and identity/identities? How do folks navigate homes that may be given or chosen? What are practices of queering home?
  *   What is homelessness? What kinds of homelessness are there and what are their causes?
  *   What role might the construction of ‘home’ in the Western imaginary support settler-colonization in the Americas?
  *   What connection(s) are there between the construction of “nuclear homes” pre-integration in the U.S. and current home imaginaries achieved through gentrification/push-out?
  *   How have feminist scholars critiqued and reimagined the home as a political space?
  *   What are the effects of disaster or displacement on home, and how is home restored?
  *   What does home look like when it’s moving, as in foster homes, transitional homes, transient homes, and migratory homes?
  *   What does it mean to be caught between homes? How does the marginalization of immigrants and refugees relate to a feeling of not belonging to homes or in-betweenness?
  *   What does it mean when home is the site of (interpersonal, state-sanctioned, etc.)  trauma, abuse, or sexual violence?
  *   How can reflecting on home benefit philosophy?

Submission Guidelines:
Submissions should be sent to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Submissions must include 1) an abstract, no more than 400 words, on a page by itself for blind review and 2) an additional cover sheet including author's name, university affiliation (if any), and email address.

Presentation Guidelines
We welcome presentations of all sorts: papers, narratives, performances, and more. Send us your ideas. Presentations should fit into 40 minutes with an additional 20 minutes for questions and discussion.

Submission Deadline: February 1st, 2019
Notification of acceptance will be no later than:  February 22, 2019
If you have questions, please contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Accessibility
We are committed to hosting a conference accessible to all. Any questions and/or accessibility requests can be addressed to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

--------
Lisa H. Schwartzman
Associate Professor, Philosophy
Associate Chair and Graduate Program Director
Department of Philosophy
Michigan State University
368 Farm Lane
503 South Kedzie Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824-1032
ph: 517-353-9391 (office); 355-4490 (dept.)
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>