From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Mark Stahlman
Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2019 8:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TOK RE: Beyond Humanism??

Gregg:

Happy New Year (yes, 2019 is going to be a *big* one) . . . !!

As you know, in addition to being a "psychologist," I'm also a "computer architect."  So, I'm familiar with both the human psyche and how computers actually work.  And my conclusion is that "information processing" is a very problematic metaphor in both cases.

What is "information"?  What does it mean to "process" it?  None of that is clear.

There is no simple or agreed-upon answer to these questions.
"Information" has become a substitute for "energy" (which, in turn, has many of its own problems) -- as "data" becomes the "new oil."  If the ToK System is going to use this metaphor, then I suspect that some careful analysis is needed.

If this is a "word-game," then what do these words mean and, crucially, what don't they mean (references, controversies, conundrums seriously needed) . . . ??

Mark