Dear Gregg and Joe, thanks for sharing that clip from Amadeus. Based on my
own reduction of 'self' with Bill Miller (see attached; ideally to be read
in the context of 'The Singularity of Nature' (see attached), I think that
the transactional process between Salieri and Mozart required that both had
a strong sense of who they were, because if not, one would have subsumed
the other for lack of 'character strength' for lack of a better term.
Ideally, they would have struck a homeostatic 'balance' that you are
referring to as the + TGB SS. But ultimately I think we have to understand
the premise of 'how and why' we exist or this is all just sophistry. Why
homeostasis- because it is the mechanism that prevailed post-Big
Bang....the 'equal and opposite reaction that ascribes to Newton's Third
Law of Motion. I say that because without it there would be no matter, just
free, chaotic energy (Alfred North Whitehead's 'Process Philosophy'). So
homeostasis is the universal principle behind all matter, inanimate and
animate alike. So that would suggest pan-psychism, which we agree seems
silly- a rock is not conscious, unless we are defining consciousness as
what we humans think it is, but is not.  Cut to the chase, I think that we
misconstrue consciousness as being aware of ourselves and our surroundings,
but that is an anthropomorphism. All organisms are conscious, it's just a
function of their particular environment/Niche as to what it constitutes,
which is the endogenization of the external environment, forming physiology
by compartmentalizing those features of the Laws of Nature in order to
survive and remain in sync with The First Principles of Physiology, which
reference the Singularity prior to the Big Bang. So in other words
Consciousness is the way in which we and all matter connect with the Cosmos
as the entirety of the product of the Singularity/Big Bang. Only then will
we understand the + TGB SS, IMHO.