Hi TOK List,
  I found this to be a helpful and fair review of Steven Pinker's Enlightenment Now, and so I thought I would share it. I think that Pinker is a bit optimistic (that is the position he seeks to defend, so that is not surprising). However, I find his more extreme critics to be unfair. As bland as it sounds, it seems clear that we are "progressing" in a positive manner in some ways and other ways there are major causes for deep concern about the direction and ultimate consequence of this "progressive" project. Ultimately, I am certainly a believer that the Enlightenment has been a good thing and believe we need to find the next phase in it in a positive, growth promoting way.

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out my Theory of Knowledge blog at Psychology Today at:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/theory-knowledge