Gregg:

Thanks, Brooks is well worth reading.
I am particularly affected by one of his statements:

These different kinds of pain share a common thread: our lack of healthy connection to each other, our inability to see the full dignity of each other, and the resulting culture of fear, distrust, tribalism, shaming and strife.

For me, another important thread to the problems in our (USA) society and culture.
We seem to get frozen on the symptoms of the problem - for instance with the “opioid epidemic.”
But, we stop there.
Same with gun violence.
Let’s keep guns out of the hands of the mentally disturbed.
And, who is going to make that diagnosis?  The gun shop dealer?  Shall it become obvious to all after truthfully filling out some form?  Where in the bureaucracy will that form be analyzed to reveal the diagnosis?

How about finding out why so many of us seek self-administered anesthesia?
How about studying deeply the random mass shooters?  Not something the NRA wants!

Brooks is correct about the “weavers.”
But, what are we doing in our society/culture that is fomenting these disturbing patterns of behavior?

Let’s stop focusing on the symptoms and learn to understand the roots of the behavior!
Brook’s suggestion to “weave” a society/culture that pays attention to each other seems fundamental.

And, now I’ll step down from my soap box.
Thanks for listening.

Perhaps, share some ideas about how we get past the symptoms?

Best regards to all,

Waldemar

Waldemar A Schmidt, PhD, MD
(Perseveret et Percipiunt)
503.631.8044

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. (A Einstein)