I like learning more about consciousness, it is something I don’t know much about, and it is one of the reasons I am on this list.

I am enjoying the dialogue, and I had some questions that I thought perhaps John and Gregg might want to answer if they are so inclined, or anyone else who wants to chime in.

What is your operational definition of consciousness? I know Gregg attempted to answer this in a previous post.

Is there a clear line between what things or beings have consciousness and what doesn’t? For example, consider the following and identify if they possess consciousness or not:
  Rock
  Planet
  Tree
  Worm
  Housefly
  Colony of ants
  Mouse
  Dog
  Human

If something is alive and doesn’t have consciousness, what does it have?

Is life and consciousness the same thing?

A question for John, do inanimate things such as a rock possess homeostasis? Or is internal physiology required to have that characteristic?

Is there a specific physiological hardware required to possess consciousness?

A question for Gregg, is what separates us from all other animals something specific and physiological, or is it just the result of what our similar physiology can do?  Does consciousness appear at a specific point in the T.O.K.?

Lastly, is there an analogy that might help clarify the distinction. For example I was thinking of the similarities between a Calculator and a smart phone, where one can do basic functions, and the other can do that plus a ton more in a similar package.

 Thanks for your time and for sharing your knowledge with us
Sent from AOL Mobile Mail