As you well know Gregg, I respectfully disagree with the distinction
between animal consciousness and human consciousness. I maintain that
consciousness is derivative of physiology, and if that is correct, we don't
distinguish the principles of physiology in animals and humans.....to the
contrary, we study animal physiology to understand human physiology, not
just for ethical reasons, but because the comparative anatomy, biochemistry
and molecular biology inform us about the evolution of physiology. As for
mapping the relationships between disciplines, it must be more than just
the synchronic real-time 'rearranging the deck chairs'; it must entail a
diachronic, across space/time transcendent perspective in order to factor
out the artifacts of the human subjectivity about our origins and mechanism
of evolution, starting with unicellular organisms, moving forward. Just to
be clear, there are commonalities between how Mendeleev configured the
Periodic Table of Elements and that for Evolutionary Biology as I have
conceptualized it based on experimental data rather than inductive
reasoning. This is an important insight because both chemical equations and
the mechanisms of physiologic evolution offer the opportunity to transcend
space/time, providing that essential diachronic view I have alluded to that
is necessary in order to get to the fundament of Nature as the literal
product of the Big Bang. Only then can we understand interdisciplinarity
IMHO.