Thank you, Waldemar. You are hitting on one of the most important ideas that drove my passion for a new system. I saw very early in my work as a clinician trained in psychosocial process that there were two different kinds of mental suffering. One could be reasonably connected to brain malfunction, which you aptly label here “works incorrectly.” In contrast, there were maladaptive intrapsychic and interpersonal patterns, which you label “works ineffectively.” At the end of this note, I will share some blogs on this topic.

Also, let me say thanks for drawing the attention to the UTUA Framework and Philosophy of One Divide. Prior to meeting up with Edward, I was emphasizing that a major maladaptive pattern was the way people related to their feelings. That is, a part of them (the critical parent part of their narrator) had strong negative reactions to their negative feelings. This was an ineffective way of processing or relating to or metabolizing feelings because it lead to conflicts and vicious cycles inside the person. I developed CALM MO as an integrative mindfulness tool that could help folks process conflict and distress in a much more effective way (i.e., would foster their capacity to achieve more adaptive states of living). Edward’s system allows us another very powerful angle on “division” and conflict. Specifically, the divide between the True Self Flourishing and Generativity and False Self Emotional Warfare. This model of adaptive versus maladaptive functioning adds much clarity (and lines directly up with the Matrix and Tripartite Model of Human Consciousness).

So, we are now in a place to clearly delineate ineffective or maladaptive from optimally effective and adaptive psychosocial processes. This is something the field has struggled with to get correct.

_____

For some of my blogs on Mental Disorder and Disease, see:

When Does a Broken Heart Become a Diagnosis?

Mental Disorders Vs Diseases
Is Psychiatry the Science of Lies?

Depression and the Disease-Pill Model of Mental Health

Twenty Billion Fails to "Move the Needle" on Mental Illness

How to Understand Depression

Anxiety and Depression are Symptoms, Not Diseases
Clarifying the Nature of Anxiety and Depression
The Behavioral Shutdown Theory of Depression