Thanks for sharing this, John. I was not aware of the Journal of Big History until you shared with me that article a little while back. It is helpful to see and it seems that it would make sense to attempt to get an article on the ToK in that journal. As I have mentioned in a few of my writings and recent submissions, I see much overlap and connection with the Big History Movement and the ToK. [One important area of difference is that they do not include the mental order of nature, but rather jump from “big life” into early human ancestors. Interestingly, other big picture views overlook the nervous system.]

Regardless, you and I agree that we need better ways of connecting the silos and seeing the big picture.

Thanks,
Gregg

From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of JOHN TORDAY
Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2019 2:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Age of Clarity

Dear ToK Society, I applaud the effort of the ToK Executive Committee to try and devise a means of rectifying the immense confusion generated by the WWW, for lack of a better way to express the problem. Starting with the conflating of information and knowledge as if they are one and the same, and (perhaps) ending with the way that computer technology feeds into our already over the top narcissism, somehow there has to be a way to reassert relavent values into the processes of thought and action. I know that I am not a social scientist, but I am a member of society, so I have a deep concern for the direction that we as a species are (inadvertently) divesting ourselves of our past and tossing a Hail Mary pass. In my own small way I have joined forces with the Big History movement fostered by David Christian, a historian from Australia who teaches world history starting with the Big Bang. I have attached a paper to be publlshed in The Big History Journal (in press) merging of evolutionary biology and history as a way of  'appreciating' how we are connected through such big picture concepts as a continuum, not as silos of disconnected thoughts. As academicians we have a responsibility to do something about the chaotic way in which society has been disrupted by computerization. It's only a tool, not a life style dammit!

Sincerely,

John Torday

Professor of Pediatrics

Obstetrics and Gynecology