Dear Joe et al, thank you for your thoughts on experimental evidence for evolutionary biology. As I said earlier in this thread, I was asking for specific experimental evidence for evolution showing the mechanism for adaptive causation. The things you mentioned- "macro-evolutionary" and "micro-evolutionary" processes. Also, there are many different kinds of evidence or methods for testing evolutionary claims:  phylogenetic inferences, the paleontological record, observational studies, studying genetic markers and characterizing phenotypic variation, the comparative method, and, yes, even some experimentation- are all associations and correlations, not 'gain and loss of function experiments that are consistent with evolutionary changes, particularly those that allowed for adaptation to environmental changes. By analogy, there were data for Astrology that showed corelations and associations, but it was not predictive until the Sun was recognized as the center of the Solar System....only then were celestial events predicted, like Halley's Comet returning every 75 years, or Eclipses, for example.

In my papers I have, for example, pointed out the duplication of specific genes such as the Parathyroid Hormone-related Protein Receptor gene, the Glucocorticoid Receptor gene and the Beta Adrenergic Receptor gene that have been documented to have occurred during the vertebrate water-land transition, causing the evolution of humans from fish. I have provided experimental evidence for the role each of those genes has played in the evolution of such land-adaptive traits as the lung, kidney, skin and brain (the brain having evolved from the skin based on Nick Holland's skin-brain hypothesis). The most rigorous evidence for the role played by those genes is to delete them specifically in embryonic mice and show how they affect those phenotypes. For example, deletion of the PTHrP gene prevents the formation of alveoli in the lung and the development of the skin; deletion of the beta adrenergic receptor inhibits the evolution of the heart from three chambers to four (fish to mammals); and the Glucocorticoid receptor has multiple effects on land adaptation, not the least of which is the stimulation of beta adrenergic receptors in the lung, allowing for the independent regulation of blood pressure in the systemic and pulmonary circulations. Furthermore, in the attached paper, I demonstrated that the cellular-molecular changes in the lung over the course of phylogeny were caused by specific environmental changes that brought about equally specific adaptational physiologic changes.

I mention all of that to contrast it with the Resnick experiments that only show the 'potential' for adaptive change, but don't reduce the predation to the cellular-molecular level where the relationship to environmental change could be experimentally tested. When I am challenged in saying that there is no experimental evidence for evolution, I am usually directed to the work of Richard Lenski, a microbiologist who has published extensively on the subject of 'evolutionary change' in bacteria in response to environmental stress caused by depriving the bacteria of certain nutrients. But that doesn't explain how a bacillus became a cocci, for example, in a manner consistent with some environmental change that occurred contemporaneously....that's evolution, not artificial conditions that demonstrate the potential for evolutionary change.

I have always thought that random genetic mutation as the source of evolutionary change made no sense because it would only affect one allele, affecting the phenotype of the host in ways that would be deleterious because such mutations are detrimental physiologically to begin with....and then to find a mate with the same mutation? The odds of two such random mutations occurring in mating pairs is highly improbable, not to mention that the steps in evolution are interrelated physiologically with one another in ways that can be seen when the organism is stricken with chronic illness- for example emphysema is a simplification disease that is the result of the pathologic breakdown in the partitioning of the alveoli into smaller and smaller units, increasing the efficiency of gas exchange from the swim bladder of fish to the lungs of amphibians, reptiles, mammals and birds over the course of phylogeny. How is that feasible based on a random genetic mutation? I have proposed that such physiologic adaptations are caused by physiologic stress, increasing blood flow through the capillaries, generating Radical Oxygen Species known to cause gene mutations and duplications, but not at random, but in the context of the specific tissues and organs being affected. In reaction to the stress/gene mutation-duplication, the cells involved in the homeostatic control having been lost then interact to re-establish homeostasis, by definition, in compliance with the prevailing environmental conditions....that's evolution.

So for all of the above reasons, conventional Darwinian evolution remains a belief instead of being scientifically founded on testable/refutable experimental data (Popper). I hope that wasn't too complicated. Please feel free to critique... John