John and Brent:

I have been following your exchanges from a distance.
And, would like to add another perspective for consideration

My human anatomy training and experience in anatomical pathology reminds me, in the context of your discussions, that function and structure are best understood when considered together.

In this instance, the following occur to me:

John’s perception of the role of micelles, environmental encapsulation, and intra-/intercellular organelles appears to be a coherent description of how life arose from matter (two parts of Property Quadism).  A rational justification, if you will, for life’s emergence from matter and at the root of evolutionary theory.
Those early matter modifications certainly may be envisioned as a consistent and coherent means by which multicellular life arose and evolved.  In fact, physiology of multicellular organisms, such as Home sapiens, continue to use those original modifications, or variations thereof, in allowing life to be an ongoing enterprise.
That includes how the brain works its wonders - but, it is not the only way.
That type of neurophysiology/function is but one level of organization of the Central Nervous System’s operations
That cellular & intracellular interaction, so obviously crucial to CNS internal function and effector interaction may be characterized as PRIMARY NEUROPHYSIOLOGY - essential but not sufficient to explain the structural/functional aspects of the human condition.  In other words, these are the interactions and functions of individual CNS cells - which is generally taken to mean neurons, but which includes other CNS-specific cell types, such as astrocytes and microglia.
There are three other levels of neurophysiology to consider when delineating the structural/functional aspects of the human condition:
SECONDARY NEUROPHYSIOLOGY:
The functions of clusters of individual CNS cells.  Meaning the nuclei (ie, nucleus accumbens, etc) but also more distributed collections such as cortical regions (ie, the Brodman areas, for instance).
TERTIARY NEUROPHYSIOLOGY:
The functions of CNS regions, such as the Prefrontal and Parietal lobes, the Supplementary Motor Area, the Cerebellum, and the Motor Cortex, etc.  These may be more structurally envisioned as the Connectomes.
QUARTERNARY NEUROPHYSIOLOGY:
This structural functional unit delineates the CNS, ANS, and PNS and the other parts of the body, such as the Endocrine System, the GI tract, the Musculo-Skeletal System, etc.  These are the more peripheral effects of CNS/ANS/PNS.

I submit that these levels of organization powerfully influence what the intra-/intercelular interactions end up producing.  For instance, it is possible to understand how the intra-/intercellular actions result in electronic effects such as we see via EEG and MEG.  But these intra-intercellular interactions and results are not a reasonable justification for more complicated, or emergent, effects, such as personality and consciousness.

There remains a hard problem - and at multiple levels.

It is possible, for instance, to separate out the individual cells that make up a liver - such as hepatocytes, bille duct epithelium, smooth muscle, etc.  You can even mix them altogether in a flask - but you won’t have a liver.  You’ll have cells that make bile, cell that can transport bile without dying, but you won’t have a biliary tract.

Please consider that each of the 4 levels of neurophysiology proposed “produce” a variety of things.
With the addition of each level’s capacity, something else is produced that is more than that which each level is capable of doing.
The combination of levels is a rational, coherent, and consistent foundation for the justification for the emergence of something, or things, which is/are far more complicated than what each level by itself can do or contributes to the whole.
The result is far more than an arithmetic sum.

Anyway, just some ideas to consider.
I hope they are received as well as the collegiality which sent them.

Best regards,

Waldemar

Waldemar A Schmidt, PhD, MD
(Perseveret et Percipiunt)
503.631.8044

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. (A Einstein)