Hi John,

Why would you say something like:

“Ultimately we die because we cannot defy the Second Law of Thermodynamics
forever, preventing the 'natural' dissipation of heat energy through
physiology.”]

Youthful, healthy life spans are increasing at an accelerating rate, thanks
to technology.  Once the rate increases beyond more than one year of life /
year, we will effectively be immortal.  Certainly, at some time in the
future, we will be able to completely reconstruct an indistinguishable
backup of ourselves.  And if one of the (phenomenally communicating
consciousness) copies of ourselves happened to be blown to bits, we could
just reconstruct that single consciously communicating copy of us, again,
right?

Even if the entire universe dies a slow “heat death” in a gazillion,
gazillion years, there are lots of ideas of how we could still,
effectively, survive, even if at an increasingly slow rate of life,
forever.  So, again, why would you say anything that implies we must die
because of the second law of thermodynamics?

How would / should the ToK stand on something like this?  Must we accept
and assume that everyone must always die?  Or is this just another terrible
mistaken bleating of the naive heard, that is damaging to us, in that it is
faithlessly slowing our progress?

Brent