Hi Gregg, Alexander, Peter and TOK, I would like to share some
scientifically-based insights to 'Free Will' v 'Determinism'. By reducing
cell physiology to Quantum Mechanics you can see the commonalities between
the biochemistry and the physics. For example there are homologies between
the Pauli Exclusion Principle that formulates the spin state of an electron
and the First Principles of Physiology. Without going into detail (unless
someone wants to go deeper), suffice it to say that in both realms there is
both Free Will and Determinism which lend themselves to understanding
Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. I think that these dualities are the
product of the Big Bang, and that they have been resolved chemically
through reactions like hydrogen + oxygen= water, as well as the cell
resolving the ambiguity of its origin in negative entropy. When this is
viewed from the perspective of epigenetic inheritance directly from the
environment, that process offers the opportunity for the developing
offspring to assimilate such information during embryogenesis, providing
advanced notice of changes in the environment to the offspring. This
changes the perspective on what 'phenotype' actually means functionally,
being the 'agency' to collect environmental epigenetic marks behaviorally
rather than just being a description of physical
characteristics......without Free Will this mechanism of evolution would
not be feasible. John Falk has written about the significance of Choice,
for example, focusing on behavior.....I think that what I have expressed
above explains it all the way down to Quantum Mechanics, connecting biology
and physics as mutual products of the Big Bang, referencing the Singularity
that all of the above is 'choosing'. That common denominator for matter and
life alike is the basis for Consciousness as the universal expression of
the Laws of Nature. I hope this was helpful.....John T