Peter, I am not a determinist or a 'choicer'. I am a scientist (50yearsinthetrenches). I have been able to reverse-engineer evolution by applying developmental embryologic principles of cell-cell communication/signaling to phylogeny, using the precept that evolution is 'serial pre-adaptations', or what SJ Gould called exaptations. Using that approach, I have been able to trace vertebrate evolution back to the unicellular state. Once there, the question was what was the pre-adaptation for the cell? Based on the work of David Deamer and others who have documented the origin of water on Earth as the product of snowball-like asteroids that pelted the atmosphere-less planet, containing polycyclic hydrocarbons (lipids) produced by Pulsars, when you immerse lipids in water they will spontaneously form primitive 'cells' or micelles, i.e. semi-permeable spheres. As important as the formation of a protected space within them, the fact that lipids have 'memory' or hysteresis is literally vital for life because without it evolution is impossible- having that memory allows the organism to adapt based on its 'history' instead of having to 'reinvent the wheel' which is too time/energy consuming to be competitive.....picture those micelles floating in the ocean, warmed and deformed by day, and reformed at night due to cooling....that's the memory that gave rise to what I have called the First Principles of Physiology, at a minimum being the product of negative entropy/Free Energy (Schrodinger, What is Life?), chemiosmosis as the first source of bioenergy, and homeostasis. The point I am leading up to is that the differential between the internal and external entropy of the cell is an ambiguity (see attached). Life resolves this ambiguity by endogenizing factors in the external environment that pose an existential threat- oxygen, heavy metals, ions, bacteria. That iterative process has formed our physiology, and suffice it to say that the process is both deterministic (negentropy/chemiosmosis) and probabilistic (homeostasis).....and mind you, homeostasis is the homolgue of the recoil of the Big Bang, Newton's Third Law of Motion (every action.....) dictating that there had to have been an equal and opposite reaction....that is the homeostatic principle behind both a balanced chemical reaction and physiologic traits generated by cell-cell interactions alike. In either case, these mechanisms ascribe to E=mc2, and by virtue of the fact that energy and matter are balanced in the Cosmos, the chemistry and biology reconcile the dialectical imbalances caused by the Big Bang....in other words, they, like the Redshift, are the echoes of the Big Bang. Hope that made sense.....your thoughts? John