Hi Gregg and TOK, thank you for your kind words and thoughts. The intent of invoking Relativity Theory is to be all-inclusive, but it may be a 'bridge too far'.....gotta have goals.
I think that 'pain' is subjective, and may/not mean 'ouch'.....in a plant it may just be an aversive reaction to something that it finds undesirable. Given that we are mobile whereas plants are not I wouldn't think that 'ouch' would be response, but the net result would be the same-ish. I have attached a recent paper by Frantisek Baluska, a German botonist and Arthur Reber, a clinical psychologist that may/not be of interest. Frantisek is the Keynote Speaker at that Consciousness meeting I am also speaking at fyi.....John