Hi List,

  Thought I would share two pieces that might of interest, especially when contrasted. Here is an article by David Brooks about the detached lives that many men lead:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/opinion/working-class-men.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Here is a newsletter from list member Dr. Darcia Narvaez sharing her newly developed “Evolved Nest” newsletter that includes many of the very cool and exciting things she has worked on.

It is interesting to contrast the two. IMO, we definitely need to work toward a culture that is much closer to raising our children in environments that parallel the Evolved Nest.

WITH SUBSCRIBE LINK

Inspiration in your inbox, just as we promised!

A Note from Darcia

Welcome to The Evolved Nest!

Welcome to The Evolved Nest newsletter's first issue! We've been working hard this spring to gather together the many exciting components of The Evolved Nest onto one hub - our new website at www.EvolvedNest.org.

There is so much to share, including new science research, new books, conference events, podcasts, and Fresh Eyes insights from the next generation on The Evolved Nest.

I would love to hear from you as we are growing this educational initiative: what are your thoughts? what else would you like to see or hear from me and The Evolved Nest team?

We look forward to connecting with you over the coming months. Please visit and share the growing resources on The Evolved Nest website, and thank you for your support!

Darcia Narvaez, PhD

Darcia enjoying the big picture view atop the Rocky Mountains.

Darcia's Blog

The Science and Art of Mothering: A Three Part Series

In recent decades, mothering or nurturing children has become a greater challenge, particularly in the USA, as both parents work outside the home, extended families are scattered, neighborhoods are less stable, single-parent households grow more widespread, and parents lack the experience and education on how to raise children for long-term health and well-being.

With decreased cultural support for family caregiving, children may be at risk for not experiencing the individualized nurturing that fosters thriving. In order to understand how the nurturing environment has shifted to the relatively minimalistic form predominant in the U.S. today, we must look at the history and prehistory of human societies.

Resources from our website's Community Practices that support this component of The Evolved Nest include PL+US (Paid Family Leave for the United States) and the National Partnership for Women and Families.

Discover The Evolved Nest

Podcast Series

1. An Introduction to The Evolved Nest

 How can we maximize human flourishing? The answer—the Evolved Nest! Learn what the Nest is and how it fosters human potential.

2. Cycles of Development: From Baby to Society

What we experience in early life and childhood eventually affects the whole society. Find out how we can make big changes to our world, starting with the little ones.

3. Cycle of Cooperative Companionship

Why are some people cooperative and others are not? The Evolved Nest sheds light on how we can grow and raise people of cooperation and build thriving communities.

4. Cycle of Competitive Detachment

When we don’t provide the Evolved Nest to our young, we can end up with a cycle of stress, self-centeredness and detachment, from baby to culture.

In The News

Talk Nation Radio Interview. Listen to Darcia Narvaez speak about Neurobiology and the Development of Human Morality, on the March 20, 2019, radio show

Snuggling Will Affect Your Baby For A Lifetime - Here's Why, Babygaga, April 30, 2019

Find The Evolved Nest in the news in our press room. You can also book Darcia for interviews and events on this page.

New Science

Quick Took to Assess Child Thriving

A paper published by Darcia Narvaez and her colleagues at the Notre Dame Family Life Project in Sage Open highlights how taking a snapshot of a young child’s experience over a week, as reported by a parent, is predictive of child outcomes. The measure — the EDN — was tested in three countries: the U.S., Switzerland and China. Parents of 3-to-5-year-old children indicated how much self-directed play, family togetherness, affection and (lack of) corporal punishment the child received in a week. They also completed validated measures of child social and moral development and mental health.

“Today, U.S. culture does not provide much of the evolved nest, and so we should not be surprised that we have a lot of ill health, self-centeredness and oppositionalism,” Narvaez said. “A person’s neurobiology and social capacities are founded in early months and years of life. We have to remember that babies are like fetuses until 18 months of age and so need an external womb experience to grow properly. It’s important to optimize human potential and capacities so that humanity can solve the crises we face. The poor development of human capacities has contributed to those crises. We forgot what we are capable of in a positive sense.”

From the University of Notre Dame's News, April 15, 2019

Read the press release here

Read the study here

Visit The Evolved Nest press room here

Events

Rock the World: Breastfeeding and Parenting Conference

API is thrilled to announce we are partnering with La Leche League of KY/TN for the Rock the World: Breastfeeding and Parenting Conference in Nashville, November 2, 2019! The location will be in the heart of Nashville, near so many family friendly and musical locations. From the Parthenon at Centennial Park to downtown music central, we will have activities for all ages.

The conference will feature Darcia Narvaez, PhD, Dr. Bill and Martha Sears, Dr. James McKenna, Barbara Nicholson and Lysa Parker , and many other stellar speakers, exhibitors, sponsors, and, of course, a music event! Come meet parents and professionals from all over the world and celebrate API's 25th Anniversary too.

The conference will be a one-day event complemented by an evening event on Friday and a concert on the day of the event. CEUS will be provided.

Find out more about this 25th Anniversary Celebration of Attachment Parenting International here.

See the full event calendar here

Fresh Eyes on the Evolved Nest

Follow the Fresh Eyes Series to discover how the next generation perceive the Evolved Nest and relates to children, before they become parents...

Imagining and Practicing Engagement

By Kelly Burke

Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve spent more time than normal with children. My psychology class visited a nearby kindergarten on two separate days, gardening with the children and playing folk song games. Being with five-year-olds was very liberating—they are utterly unconcerned with what other people think of them, so I was, too. The kids are their authentic selves; they don’t put on masks;,they’re not worried about looking silly. They just want to enjoy themselves and have fun with those around them. Visiting them, I was able to practice letting my own defensiveness down and being fully present in the moment (and they can tell when you’re not!).

New Book

Indigenous Sustainable Wisdom

First-Nation Know-How for Global Flourishing

Edited By Darcia Narvaez, Four Arrows (Don Trent Jacobs), Eugene Halton, Brian S Collier and Georges Enderle

Contributors describe ways of being in the world that reflect a worldview that guided humanity for 99% of human history: They describe the practical traditional wisdom that stems from Nature-based relational cultures that were or are guided by this worldview. Such cultures did not cause the kinds of anti-Nature and de-humanizing or inequitable policies and practices that now pervade our world. Far from romanticizing Indigenous histories, Indigenous Sustainable Wisdom offers facts about how human beings, with our potential for good and evil behaviors, can live in relative harmony again. Contributions cover views from anthropology, psychology, sociology, leadership, native science, native history, and native art.

Where to Find and Share The Evolved Nest

SOCIAL MEDIA

Find and share The Evolved Nest on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, SoundCloud and LinkedIn!

BLOGS

Read Darcia's blogs on Psychology Today, Kindred, and LinkedIn.

DONATE

And support The Evolved Nest's nonprofit work with your tax-deductible donations here.

CONTACT

Please contact The Evolved Nest with your questions here.

SUBSCRIBE

If you have forwarded this newsletter to a friend, and we hope you do, your friend can SUBSCRIBE to this newsletter here.

Kindred World/The Evolved Nest | P.O. Box 3653, Williamsburg, VA 23187-3653

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darcia Narvaez (DAR-sha narv-EYES)
Professor of Psychology, Psychology Department, 362 Corbett, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame IN 46556 USA
[log in to unmask], 574-631-7835
My University Website

The Evolved Nest (Evolved Developmental Niche) (academic papers)
EvolvedNest.Org (podcasts and info)

Also see DarciaNarvaez.com

Blog at Psychology Today: Moral Landscapes
Interviews and Podcasts
BOOKS:
Indigenous Sustainable Wisdom: First Nation Know-How for Global Flourishing (Peter Lang)
Basic Needs, Wellbeing and Morality: Fulfilling Human Potential (Palgrave-Macmillan)
Embodied Morality: Protectionism, Engagement and Imagination (Palgrave-Macmillan)
Neurobiology and the Development of Human Morality: Evolution, Culture and Wisdom (winner of the 2017 Expanded Reason Award and the 2015 APA William James Book Award)

Evolution, Early Experience and Human Development (OUP)
Ancestral Landscapes in Human Evolution (OUP)
Young Child Flourishing: Evolution, Family & Society (OUP)
amazon.com/author/darcianarvaez
Families for Conscious Living

I acknowledge my presence at the University of Notre Dame on the traditional homeland of the Pokégnek Bodéwadmik / Pokagon Potawatomi, who have been using this land for education for thousands of years, and continue to do so.