Hi Gregg,
Yea, I saw this.  I reached out to the author Dr Sharon.  She responded and we are in discussion.  I was pointing out how some people think Qualia are more fundamental vs others who think function is more fundamental, from which qualia "arise".  I agree with her, and believe that consciousness/qualia are "first" or more fundamental.  Once experimentalists start using methods that are not "qualia blind" we'll be able to falsify one or the other.
Thanks
Brent