Thanks to everyone for these thoughts.

Jason, your point about Jung’s concept of persona and shadow and the new kinds of alignments that the digital world affords us is a key part of the macro “digital identity” problem and a good example of possible linkages between the emergence of digital and mental health problems. Many people, like Jean Twenge, believe that the way social media influences how children and teens seek approval and manage impressions is crucial to understanding the recent spike and, as is suggested in your comment, there is good reason to suggest that the new landscape could alter development in profound ways.

Moving to Suraj’s note, I encourage folks to check out his blog and website. Also, let me note that I am in the process of re-orienting the “entry point” of the ToK/Unified framework in terms of three broad “Justification Systems/Language Games” (JS-LG). As this paper, Toward a Useful Mass Movement notes, the ToK has always been billed as a “Scientific Humanistic Philosophy”. I am now working out a more formal way to characterize exactly what is meant by that claim. Represented by the attached “S O IS Knowledge and Wisdom Triangle” I am arguing that the three language systems are: objective-behavioral-exterior; subjective-phenomenological-interior; and InterSubjective normative group. The latter two are “humanistic” JS-LGs and the first is the “scientific”. (Note, this conceptual distinction lines up with many perspectives, including Popper’s Three Worlds and Wilber’s Epistemological Quadrants). I will be arguing that they play by different rules and neither can be reduced to the others. Perhaps most notably in this context, the Subjective-Phenomenological-Interior-Idiographic and InterSubjective Moral cannot be reduced to the scientific justification system.

In addition, I will be arguing strongly that “objective/exterior behaviorism” (AKA the JS-LG of science) does NOT translate into a reductive, (pre)-deterministic, physical materialism. That is, although everything is matter and energy, not everything is JUST matter and energy. Rather, as depicted by the ToK and, perhaps even more clearly, the Periodic Table of Behavior, the best way to consider the universe “objectively” is to map it as a unfolding wave of behavior across different emergent levels and dimensions of complexity.

I am bringing this up because of a quote in Suraj’s note, which says, “The former is reserved about mind-body dualism a la Descartes, while the latter rejects physicalism as a dominant mode for understanding human experience.” The Scientific Humanistic Philosophy afforded by the ToK (and larger UTUA Framework) makes this debate nonsensical or completely outdated. Rather, we can now move past all of the old conflicts that pitted an “Enlightenment 1.0 version” of “matter in motion” science against “human experience and human mattering” and achieve a coherent way of talking about all of this because the ToK provides a clear Meta-Language System that sort the scientific and humanistic justification in their rightful place and then offers a conceptual system that allows coherent fluidity between them.

One of the great challenges of the 21st Century is the development of a coherent Scientific Humanistic meaning-making system. Indeed, directly connected to the meaning making crisis, another major aspect of the Digital Identity Problem.