Thanks for this paper, Waldemar. It is fascinating.

It is also the case that because I have been spending more time lately in “humanistic language systems”, I want to make a comment about it from a meta-language system view point. To do so, we need to locate the “language game” of this article. It is squarely in the scientific language system. That is, of course, all well and good, but I am convinced we should be differentiating the science language game from the humanistic. One of the things I now see as the great error of modernity is that the scientific language game became so powerful that it started to become believed that it was the only “real and true” justification system. Which, of course, is not “true” at all. It is the best justification systems for determining the “habits of nature” as Alexander Bard would say; but that is not the same thing as Truth across all domains of life.

It is perhaps useful to place it in the scientific language system. From a ToK vantage point, the primary placement of the language game the authors are using is in the PTB dimension 3, levels 1 & 2. That is, it is operating off of a neuroscience into a cognitive-behavioral-neuroscience perspective<https://www.gregghenriques.com/uploads/2/4/3/6/24368778/periodic_table_of_behavior4b.pdf>. In addition, because it is concerned with psychopathology, it is operating in the context of “applied” human science, that of psychiatry and clinical psychology. That means that there are meta-value systems operating that frame the discourse in addition to the basic value of the accurate and reliable descriptions and explanations of behavior (the rules of basic science). Such values determine that which is disordered/pathological from that which is normal/functional/desirable.

For clarity, when I say a science language game, I am saying that it operates off a scientific assumptions, methods and theory of reality, which is what the ToK tries to map holistically. That is, an objective, realist, truthful, intersubjective/public set of models that offer generalizable statements of patterns and processes (i.e., behaviors broadly defined). The ToK maps the ontic reality on the left and the scientific onto-epistemological schemas and models on the right (the empirical methods of science are the processes by which the theoretical models are corresponded to the data systematically drawn from reality to determine validity of the proposed model). The ToK also clearly specifies that science is a particular kind of language game/knowledge-justification system that emerges out of Culture.

I am being specific about this because I am teaching a course on the nature of science writ large and wanting to sharping my discourse on the nature of the scientific language game in relation to the humanistic ones. As I have suggested in my “Behavior, Spirit and Morality” conception, it seems that there are at least two humanistic language games that are qualitatively different from the scientific language game. One of which is the idiographic, unique, particular, first person perspective (spirit) and the other is the interpersonal/intersubjective shared notion of moral/ethical/normative/right-wrong notions. We should be very clear in a wholistic scientific humanistic philosophy (what Zak Stein is referring to as a metapsychology) that these are separate systems of justification.

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out my Theory of Knowledge blog at Psychology Today at:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/theory-knowledge

Check out my webpage at:
www.gregghenriques.com<http://www.gregghenriques.com>