Alexander,

  I am onboard completely with choosing to go for choice. And appreciate your frame on agency.

  As for ‘self’ and ‘consciousness’, how about, when referring to ‘self-conscious awareness’, we simply say that?

  Many folks, at least in the West, consider consciousness “proper” to reference the felt experience of being. It is the experience of seeing a red chair. It is a viable construct in scientific psychology. See, for example, Dehaene’s brilliant work, “Consciousness and the Brain”. It was what Nagel is trying to get at in What is it Like to Be a Bat? This is an important construct in the ToK language System.

  That said, I completely agree with you that the word consciousness carries so much baggage that we should consider dropping it. My preferred approach is to be sure we tag appropriate labels to its many facets or domains. So, explicit self-consciousness is the capacity I have right now to say I am choosing to write this email to you. Experiential consciousness is the perceptual experience of seeing a red coffee cup to my right. Attentional consciousness is the point of focal awareness and so forth.