Hi List,

  I was having an interesting conversation with Alexander B. who was making the case that it might help folks to better understand my system if they started with the basics and used basic language. I shared with him the fact that when my daughter Syndey was four she came to me out of the blue and said, “Look, Daddy, I drew your work! See, rocks, plants, animals, people!” See the attached.

It was interesting to juxtapose that conversation with an exchange on a list of philosophers I am on that was debating the meaning of the terms “physicalism” and “materialism” and exploring what is called The Galileo Commission, subtitled “Beyond a Materialist Worldview”. I wrote to the list and shared the ToK perspective and asked if they would consider the ToK to be a materialist/physicalist worldview or not. (I don’t think there is much core agreement about what that is, other than that it rejects the dualistic supernatural view).

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out my Theory of Knowledge blog at Psychology Today at:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/theory-knowledge