Some people talk about UBS: Universal Basic Services, which I find interesting: https://universalbasicservices.org/ - haven't googled it in a while; that was the first thing that came up.

/ Lene

On 08-10-2019 12:53, Henriques, Gregg - henriqgx wrote:

Thanks, Jason and Lene.

One area of my background and knowledge that is woefully inadequate is macro-economics and governmental policy. So, I am outside my wheelhouse in analyzing those things. I did worry about a number of things with UBI, including inflation. And I was arguing with my brother about why income should be contingent and incentivized in a particular direction. I too felt the VAT was not the right idea, as it clearly was a neoliberal frame on domains that needed to be protected from being economically incentivized. (We don’t want to pay people for being good and caring).

That said, I shared the podcast and was excited about it because at the VALUES level, he had, IMO, the right kind of “sensibility”. That is, he positioned himself to be outside the traditional political fray and polarization (he has some T shirts on Humanity First, and Not Left or Right But Forward), was someone who both appreciated what capitalism has accomplished and recognized that we need to consider ourselves in late stage capitalism, was concerned about the environment but was not an eco-moralist, saw the need for altering our social values and creating a much more workable safety net, but did not villainize people (wall street barons, white working class poor) that the left often does.

Jason, can you share links about the Federal Job Guarantee? That sounds interesting.