I am thoroughly opposed to Yang based on just his awful UBI and VAT ideas alone. Basically, it's just neoliberalism dressed up as progressivism, and is nothing but a Trojan Horse that'll ultimately hurt the poor and working class.

A standalone UBI would most certainly be inflationary, which hurts the poor the most. But he proposes tethering the UBI to a VAT which, (besides being a bureaucratic nightmare), is ultimately regressive, since such a tax would be passed onto consumers by embedding it within the final price of goods.

So essentially, the poor will end up paying for the UBI with the UBI.

On top of that, Yang's proposal will ultimately be used as a justification for cutting other social programs, (e.g., Social Security, SNAP, etc.)

 I 100% support the Federal Job Guarantee as an alternative --- a much a more solid macroeconomic proposal. A full employment program. Federally funded, but locally managed. Since dollars are added to the economy coupled with real output, there's minimal inflationary risk. And it's a counter-cyclical, automatic stabilizer, (as opposed to the UBI, a pro-cyclical, automatic de-stabilizer).

Yang's ideas aren't just wrong. They're dangerous.

~ Jason Bessey