Hi ToK list,

Having published about UBI as a non expert (I am a philosopher of education [UBI is one of my “social miracles <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zakstein.org_podcast-2Don-2Dthe-2D13-2Dsocial-2Dmiracles_&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HPo1IXYDhKClogP-UOpybo6Cfxxz-jIYBgjO2gOz4-A&m=wKEReAVChWY8Vz7XUdk46-3L-Ozjy3OWEKf62YcS0Ig&s=adNfmgPQWPHgxF8__jcfIKBjBmOkmpTUv0KZvLbgX4Q&e=>”]), I will say that it is dangerous when taken up in isolation from other social programs and especially educational initiatives.

Indeed, there are scenarios where the UBI is a true nightmare, and I am not talking about inflation and other economic fallout — I am talking about meaninglessness, de-skilled apathy, addiction, suicide, i.e., total/catastrophic mental health crisis. (The same holds for a so-called "guaranteed work program," if done in isolation from related social programs and educational initiatives).

UBI is as much (more so?) an educational/cultural issue then a math problem in economics.

Even if we can make the numbers work the real hard problem is making the idea work as a part of the current human identity structure  (i.e., as part of our self-system's role-taking and social justification dynamics).

Who am I if I am not a wage laborer? That is the question. If the culture and individual can’t answer that but the economists and politicians go ahead and take away the category of wage labor, well, there will be a society wide equivalent of an identity crisis or nervous breakdown.

Of course, the elephant in the room is *the massive and ever increasing economic inequality.* Remember when Piketty was a best seller? The math he laid out is still true. The whole compounding interest thing still holds. UBI may be a nonstarter but something (somebody?) has to give.

Instead of justifying UBI to people taking issue, I often ask "what else sounds good that is as radical in its admission of the need for redistribution?” My answer has something to do with an education renaissance/revolution, but that is another story.

Fall colors in Vermont.

zak