From: tree of knowledge system discussion <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Zachary Stein
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2019 4:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Two Hard Problems

Hi Gregg,

You would likely find Robert Brandom’s framing of this issue helpful. It is something like:

The (easy) hard problem is about *sentience.* This is the one most everyone goes on about, having to do with *what it is like to be* e.g., a bat etc. That 1st person qualia “magically” arising out of complex meat. (Of course, it only appears to be magical according to bad metaphysics, but that is another email).

The (hard) hard problem is about *sapience.* This one most nobody is tracking, and has to do with *normativity* or *the intersubjective validity of normative status/claims.* Not what is it like to be something, but what does it mean to be a something who is a claimer of intersubjective statues.

You can see how this framing fits well with the ToK system, and is I think a more general frame than "the problem of other minds.”

If we can get people working on the problem of *sapience* then we will have people doing philosophy and psychology again, for real, which would be nice, cause the world is going crazy ;-)

zak