Hi TOK List,
  I am involved in some conversations over on the Metamodern list. Here is a note I shared there, which I thought I share here with Simon Divecha<https://twitter.com/simondivecha?lang=en>. I don’t have permission to share his posting, but he was offering positive feedback on my Behavior, Spirit and Morality talk and inviting calls that inspire more action than just ideas about the future.

Simon,

  Thank you so much for these powerful reflections. Although I am much more of an “idea guy” than an activist guy, I am a clinical psychologist and see the need for a “Game B” (in Hall and Schmachtenberger’s language) and the need to mobilize action via moving “justification narratives”. This is basic social psychology. Groups are coordinated by stories, with origins, plots, themes and quests. We need stories of Humanity that evoke a shared sense of being without becoming moralistic or authoritarian. Rather, we need to cultivate healthy recognition of the dangers of the world, while also maintaining a Curious, Accepting, Loving/compassionate attitude that is Motivated toward valued states of being<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.psychologytoday.com_us_blog_theory-2Dknowledge_201502_developing-2Dcalm-2Dmo&d=DwMFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=wjF8cZoiFchamTuxBdDEmw&m=Ji96zloF25fHHfIj_DrI_jTp5eT4v8oDv-vhsqpcttE&s=GDaicBDJYgViAWIcVA1cLWdLU2V1j5VYnSvge2c72X8&e=>. For example, as was noted in the talk I shared, I characterize the conglomerate of “meta-crises” in terms of the Digital Identity Problem<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.psychologytoday.com_us_blog_theory-2Dknowledge_201908_the-2Ddigital-2Didentity-2Dproblem&d=DwMFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=wjF8cZoiFchamTuxBdDEmw&m=Ji96zloF25fHHfIj_DrI_jTp5eT4v8oDv-vhsqpcttE&s=FAmApmnHrz9bS2fltvEdiTR1MYmPv3rEIRSbK1ybOyo&e=>, and I use the ToK map to suggest we are on the cusp of “the 5th Joint Point<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.gregghenriques.com_uploads_2_4_3_6_24368778_fifthjp.pdf&d=DwMFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=wjF8cZoiFchamTuxBdDEmw&m=Ji96zloF25fHHfIj_DrI_jTp5eT4v8oDv-vhsqpcttE&s=RvVIL8c6pcVg4p42cQY0uDC0SVAh2HWb4GDSaQ_JYo0&e=>”, which I frame in narrative terms.

Humans are the justifying animal. Our singularly unique accomplishment was not tools, opposable thumbs, or the ability to walk, but instead our ability to construct systems of justification that coordinate human groups and provide narratives for how the world works and our place in it. It is in this light that I submit that our transcendental purpose should be the construction of a new global system of justification that effectively merges wisdom with science and technology in a way that fosters the emergence of a new age. The theorized consequence of such a synthesis would be the fifth joint point and the emergence of a MetaCultural dimension of reality.

The hope is that Humanity can move from the current Age of Confusion<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.psychologytoday.com_us_blog_theory-2Dknowledge_201512_welcome-2Dthe-2Dage-2Dconfusion&d=DwMFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=wjF8cZoiFchamTuxBdDEmw&m=Ji96zloF25fHHfIj_DrI_jTp5eT4v8oDv-vhsqpcttE&s=dCtxk2uepo6rIXgKufOVmg6H2sbC4Ah7TlJobmDQYw8&e=>, and wake up in the 2020s with clear-eyed vision<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.psychologytoday.com_us_blog_theory-2Dknowledge_201903_toward-2Dthe-2Dage-2Dclarity&d=DwMFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=wjF8cZoiFchamTuxBdDEmw&m=Ji96zloF25fHHfIj_DrI_jTp5eT4v8oDv-vhsqpcttE&s=Rk17pSHi3Jprq3cx6cKSVcN3N4lZP8WmRPar6vzsn2Y&e=> regarding the actual situation we find ourselves in. By recognizing our fate is tied together, we construct a “Digital Identity Solution” that allows us to build good characters, good relationships, good communities, in a sustainable digital-ecological world. To achieve this we need to foster awareness, acceptance and orient toward active change. And as you suggest, memes are key. Value memes, vision logic memes, and beacons for the future, all that inspire wise action.

I hope things turn for the better in Chile.

Sincerely,
Gregg

.