Hi TOK Society List,

  I just wanted to share my "thank you" to TOK list member Collin Barnes, who is a social psychologist and professor at Hillsdale who graciously invited me to present some of my ideas there. It was a great experience. I gave two talks. One on CALM MO and the current Age of Anxiety and what might be driving that. That was given in the morning, and is a talk I have done before (in various ways) and seemed to go well from my vantage point. I think there was lots of agreement that the mental health issues are key and we need good, clear ways to address healthy emotional processing and more mature ways of metabolizing distress and conflict.

  My primary talk was given in the afternoon, and was titled Behavior, Spirit and Morality: Toward a Theory of Knowledge and Wisdom in the 21st Century. See the attached poster for it, which Collin and his students generated-I share it here because I thought was brilliantly done. The talk itself went pretty well. This was a new framing and I definitely had an enormous amount of ground to cover. As I gave it, there were some spaces that would have benefited from slowing down and giving some more concrete examples. The time window was fairly narrow for the territory (it was a 50 minute talk with 10 min Q and A). Attached is a pdf (the full ppt is too big to share). For folks who have more background familiarity the "language game" of the ToK, I think it will be pretty clear what I am driving at. Overall, I think the talk generally went well and there seemed to be substantial interest in exploring the outline of ideas that were offered. There were lots good questions and there was stimulating conversation over dinner on Thurs with professors and students from a wide variety of backgrounds.  I will be likely writing more on this "Behavior, Spirit, and Morality" frame, as I think it makes some key foundational points.

  Anyway, Collin, his colleagues, and the students were wonderfully engaging and the hospitality was great. So, let me state here-thanks so much, Collin! From what I saw, Hillsdale is lucky to have you and you guys are doing lots of things right.

Gregg Henriques, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Graduate Psychology
216 Johnston Hall
MSC 7401
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-7857 (phone)
(540) 568-4747 (fax)

Check out my Theory of Knowledge blog at Psychology Today at:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/theory-knowledge

Check out my webpage at:
www.gregghenriques.com<http://www.gregghenriques.com>