When do modern Western toddlers separate their sense of self from their
mothers?
Do you have any studies to refer to and how were they conducted?
Psychoanalysis has long put the self-sense-making at the so called mirror
stage, and as negation of mother. "Something exists that is not mother".
Whether that really occurs at any sort of mirror or is just another name
for the phallic intrusion is a hotly debated topic.
Obviously hard to solve since the subconscious self-sense-making is way
deeper and therefore much earlier than any conscious self-sensing.
Phallic intrusion called so since phallus represents that which mother is
not in the outside world. Nota bene.
Best
Alexander