Hi List,

  I have been slammed with a few things, but for those who are interested in emotions, the mind and the like, I recommend this recent Psych Today series by LeDoux. They describe his view of emotions, behavior, the mind, and feeling-consciousness

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/i-got-mind-tell-you/201910/how-deep-do-we-go

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/i-got-mind-tell-you/201910/youre-radical-behaviorist-disguised-neuroscientist

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/i-got-mind-tell-you/201910/have-we-misunderstood-our-emotions

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/i-got-mind-tell-you/201911/emotion-is

  Note, I “more or less” agree with everything LeDoux says. The difference I have is with his language usage. There is also some ambiguity about when conscious states emerge in the brain and some disputes about emotional circuitry, which makes the account complicated. But that is not where the key issues are, IMO. The key thing is to understand the language system/games that are being played. For him, “mental” or “the mind” generally means conscious-higher cognitive states. So, for him, “nonfeeling” states are generally “nonmental”. I disagree with this terminology (consider that it is very reasonable to argue that much of nonconscious processing is “mental processing”). In my ToK language system, I use the concept of “mental” to embrace a much larger set of constructs. Mental, for me, refers to cognitive functionalist accounts of animal behavior (i.e., the behavior of the animal as a whole, mediated by the nervous system/neuro-information processing). If folks are interested, I can provide more rationale for this argument.