From: Feminist ethics and social theory <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Saba Fatima
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 10:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [External] Feast Steering Committee At Large position

Hello All,

I am happy to announce the At-Large position in FEAST Steering Committee is now filled. We had one nomination and the nominated person has graciously agreed to serve.

Welcome Dr. Lorraine Mayer, Professor of Native Studies at Brandon University.

Here is a little bit about Lorraine:

BIO
Lorraine Mayer is a Canadian Indigenous scholar with a PhD in philosophy from the University of Oregon. She is currently a Professor at Brandon University in the Native Studies Department. Her academic pursuits include: philosophical analysis of human social perception and cross-cultural interaction and she is passionate about Indigenous women's rights. She has presented widely across Canada and The United States  including  the global communities India, England and Vietnam. She has published numerous papers and chapters in books. She is author of Cries From a Metis Heart and coauthor of Philosophy and Aboriginal Rights; Critical Dialogues.

INTEREST:
I am an Indigenous scholar from Canada and I became interested in FEAST after being approached by a member of FEAST and told about  a conference that was open and accepting of women of color. I agreed to attend but was suspicious. I  was surprised at the welcome I received at FEAST . I had long been looking for a place where Native women could give voice without condemnation and rejection and FEAST provided that avenue. I was thrilled with the  opportunities it presents for scholars, particularly those of color.  I am drawn to the diversity of papers, excellence in quality of papers and most significantly the welcome I have experienced each year and that of the students I have brought along.  My goal has always been  to see Native graduate students and Native scholars given the respect we deserve but have been denied for too long. Another goal is for undergrads and graduate students regardless of culture here in Canada to see a place for themselves in philosophy.  Our publications rest on Hypatia's decisions and I would like to see us broaden our opportunities for publication.  I would also like to see FEAST move its conference location to better serve scholars from other countries and northern parts of the US.

Thank you Lorraine,

Saba

Saba Fatima
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_view_sabafatimaphd_&d=DwIGaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=XoOEroW7O62mTdUurlYH_u7qP8yOZI1REC_UivDqvK0&s=Fy62FnlBqEa9SP_h9T5uiPbsyQbqrv0reihq6tSQYJc&e=<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_view_sabafatimaphd_home&d=DwMFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=6WzFSxOnfwk_HqQNRHHi5fjk6Snu7a6J2-LRbiyWTjg&s=5-FiecCKXMxcq46ZHRgb1JU_grGyPCtcGFuU2WmZfdU&e=>
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_view_academicmuslimahs&d=DwIGaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=XoOEroW7O62mTdUurlYH_u7qP8yOZI1REC_UivDqvK0&s=uIMV7WBk9DVy1-jzSX3UeGPMdYg2K52T9LQlgJ0GZhc&e=<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_view_academicmuslimahs&d=DwMFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=HUp8-bkYMlNgd3ZJBxWBKsBsFAFGHrEZg21p9gxugJA&m=6WzFSxOnfwk_HqQNRHHi5fjk6Snu7a6J2-LRbiyWTjg&s=vOISJRdSRvHNO_EOOWzhmBfqTMpOqWTBsxFi4gPkTVw&e=>