Dear Education Program Faculty,

Thank you for your continued support of best practices for field experience mentorship and the MidValley Consortium.  Together, we have worked to improve the field experiences in our communities by preparing P-12 teachers as clinical faculty with the tools they need to best support our candidates.

To continue our collaborative effort of identifying educational best practices, JMU faculty in conjunction with the MidValley Consortium has now begun to look further into mentorship, particularly during practicums/early field experiences.  We plan to develop web-based modules to help further support clinical faculty in the mentorship of teacher candidates.  In order to develop this training, we are seeking input from IHE faculty that have worked with teacher candidates and their practicums/early field experiences.  If you have, we would greatly appreciate your help by filling out the following brief survey.

Thank you for your time and for all that you do for teacher education candidates.  Please see information about the study below to consent to your participation.

http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6SGphhpXBUWfMKp

Identification of Investigators & Purpose of Study

You are being asked to participate in a research study conducted by Dara Hall, Michelle Hughes and Laura Desportes from James Madison University.  The purpose of this study is to gather information on early field experiences in order to inform the development of mentorship modules.  This study will contribute to the researchers’ completion of grant funded training modules.

Research Procedures

This study consists of an online survey that will be administered to individual participants in the location of their choice. You will be asked to provide answers to a series of questions related to your experiences in JMU early field placements.

Time Required

Participation in this study will require approximately 15 minutes of your time.

Risks

The investigator does not perceive more than minimal risks from your involvement in this study (that is, no risks beyond the risks associated with everyday life).

Benefits

While there are no direct benefits to participants, potential benefits from participation in this study may include improving the experience of early field placements.

Confidentiality

The results of this research may be presented at professional meetings or journals but will immediately be used in the development of mentorship training modules.  While individual responses are obtained and recorded anonymously and kept in the strictest confidence, aggregate data will be presented representing averages or generalizations about the responses as a whole.  No identifiable information will be collected from the participant and no identifiable responses will be presented in the final form of this study.  All data will be stored in a secure location accessible only to the researchers.  The researcher retains the right to use and publish non-identifiable data.

Participation & Withdrawal

Your participation is entirely voluntary.  You are free to choose not to participate.  Should you choose to participate, you can withdraw at any time without consequences of any kind.  However, once your responses have been submitted and anonymously recorded you will not be able to withdraw from the study.

Questions about the Study

If you have questions or concerns during the time of your participation in this study, or after its completion or you would like to receive a copy of the final aggregate results of this study, please contact:

Dara Hall, Ph.D

Education Support Center

Email Address: [log in to unmask]

Telephone: (540)568-2996

Michelle Hughes, Ph.D.

Early Elementary and Reading Education

Email Address: [log in to unmask]

Telephone: (540)568-3862

Laura Desportes, Ph.D.

Educational Foundations and Exceptionalities

MSC 6908 James Madison University

Telephone: (540)568- 4527

Email Address: [log in to unmask]

Questions about Your Rights as a Research Subject

Dr. Taimi Castle

Chair, Institutional Review Board

James Madison University

(540) 568-5929

Giving of Consent

I have read this email and I understand what is being requested of me as a participant in this study.  By completing the survey, I acknowledge that I freely consent to participate.  I have been given satisfactory answers to my questions.  I certify that I am at least 18 years of age.

Please complete the following anonymous survey by February 21st, 2020 if you have worked with teacher candidates and their practicums/early field experiences:

http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6SGphhpXBUWfMKp